Do you choose a word or theme for each new year? I have been doing it for the last several years using words like EPIC, ADVENTURE, STRENGTH, FOCUS and DETERMINATION. My past themes have been so powerful, how could I possibly pick something equally as impressive for this shiny new year?
As we headed toward 2020, I was wondering what word or theme I would choose. It’s not easy to select one word to cover a whole year of hopes, dreams and goals, but as the new year got closer, it started to present itself to me in different ways:
- It was announced that BALANCE elements would be added into more of the OCR World Championship course… Since I already qualified and registered for this event, I needed to start preparing.
- I had added more yoga into my workouts… Yoga is full of BALANCE
- I found myself playing on a slack line at the climbing gym… I really seemed to enjoy challenging my BALANCE and learning something new.
- I purchased a Bongo Board and SUP (Stand Up Paddle Board) … Without even thinking about them being a means to improving BALANCE
- I committed to a second consecutive year of the Handstand 365 Challenge… Better BALANCE = better handstands.
It suddenly dawned on me that this should be the year of BALANCE. I mean, the number 2020 itself seems to have a sense of BALANCE to it, so why not carry that throughout the year? Who couldn’t benefit from a bit of BALANCE in their lives, right?
To create BALANCE, I thought I first needed to define BALANCE and what it would mean for me in 2020. I started out with the basic definition… which turned out to be not so basic. The word BALANCE can be used as a noun or a verb… It’s a thing and an action. There is a very long list of definitions for the word. Instead of copying the whole list, I choose the words and phrases that really spoke to me and put them in the graphic below.
I truly believe that maintaining BALANCE in our lives is essential for health, happiness, and success. It gives us a sense of inner peace that is essential for our over-all well-being. BALANCE also gives us the ability to focus our attention and energy on what we want so we can achieve our goals and attain success.
“BALANCE is not something you find, it’s something you create” ~ Jana Kingsford
Now that I have determined the perfect word for 2020 – BALANCE – what can I possibly do to create it? Below are some action points that I plan to incorporate:
- Develop weekly training plans to include a variety of workouts including (but not limited to): Yoga, Running, Weight Training, Wreck Bag Training, Isometric Training, Rock Climbing, Swimming, Biking, and Rowing.
- Implement a BALANCED nutrition plan that works for me.
- Track my Training and Nutrition so I can visually see the past, determine what is working, and adjust as needed to stay in better BALANCE moving forward.
- Take time to recover: Stretch, Massage, Hot Epson Salt Bath, Quality Sleep. I make the time to train, but I believe it is equally important to take the time to recover.
- Spend meaningful time with friends and family.
- Take my lunch break at work.
- Eliminate the negative and surround myself with only positive, supportive and inspiring like-minded people.
- Learn something new: Photography and Paddle boarding are 2 new things I personally am going to focus on learning this year.
- Enjoy the little things: Take a walk, watch a sunset, play a board game, read a book, have a water balloon fight, try a new recipe… the list could go on and on. The point is that the little things help BALANCE out some of the bigger more stressful things.
- Help others. Helping others can be a very rich experience, which can add fulfillment and peace to our lives.
- Make time to play. I generally work 40+ hours a week, and while I won’t ever be able to completely BALANCE that time out with play time, I do my best to add play in whenever and wherever I can. For me, play comes in the form of OCR racing, rock climbing, hiking, walking the dog, kayaking, laser tagging, and being silly any chance I get. I truly believe that play is what keeps me young!!
“BALANCE is the key to everything. What we do, think, say, eat, feel, they all require awareness, and through this awareness we can grow.” ~ Koi Fresco
That is my plan. I may deviate from the plan here and there, I may add things, I may eliminate things. We all know how much can change from Jan 1 to Dec 31, but I am looking forward to figuring out how to apply my action points and create BALANCE in all that I do throughout the year.
If you want to join me on my journey and create more BALANCE in your life, use hashtag #YearOfBalance2020 so I can follow your progress as well!
Cheers to 2020, the year of BALANCE!!
by Heather Hannin